The name for this recipe is borrowed from my company’s on-site cafe; they cook some pretty delicious soup, and I love their lightly spicy version of corn chowder. After an overabundance of turkey post-Friendsgiving 2015, I thought I’d try a spin on the chowder, but with shredded turkey instead. The results were super yummy, and I’ll definitely be making it again next November. The inspiration for the original recipe came from the Cookin’ Canuck via Pinterest, but I added more corn and chicken, and ditched the chilies (Sam’s taste for spicy is limited).
But since shredded turkey is harder to come by in my kitchen, I thought I’d share the chicken version. The caveat to this recipe is you need pre-shredded chicken, but you have a few options there. You can make your own shredded chicken in a crockpot or on the stove, or you can pick up a rotisserie chicken at your local grocery store and shred it. I personally prefer the crockpot shredded chicken, but alas, I rarely have the forethought to make it.
This soup is hearty enough for dinner, although Sam always wants something to dip in it, like pita bread or saltines. The extras will freeze very well – just ladle some into a ziploc bag (quart size will give you 2 full servings), then seal, flatten, and place in the freezer.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 2 breasts) or cooked turkey
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic; cook until the vegetables begin to soften and the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and simmer for 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and milk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and add the salt and pepper.
- Cook, whisking frequently, until the soup has thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken, cheddar cheese, and cayenne pepper, until the cheese has melted.